Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fashion Food for Thought

Today I was in the dressing room at a random store and overheard a group of high school girls discussing their purchases. It was a pretty standard "that looks cute!" convo but what caught my attention was the repeated use of the phrase "life purchase." One girl was trying to convince her friend that a pair of leggings were "life purchases" while another girl whined about how jewelry is always a "life purchase" but that she never bought anything she really liked. At first I was annoyed by the girls and the idea that anything you buy in high school, especially at the mall, could be a "life purchase."

But then I realized that I still have things that I bought in high school. Most are things that don't expire, like tank tops and sweat pants, but one special thing I still have is this striped grey-ish wool jacket from Urban Outfitters. There was no price tag on it so the hurried sales person just rang it up as $10, even though it wasn't on sale or anything. It has lasted me thru wide flare jeans, corduroys, leggings and skinny jeans and will now join me in my pursuit of a grown-up woman's wardrobe. Definitely a worthwhile life purchase.



No comments:

Post a Comment